Energy & Resources
Oil & Gas
- Acted for bidders during the competitive sales processes for upstream oil & gas assets of Hess in Indonesia, Murphy Oil in Malaysia, and Newfield in Malaysia and China, some of the largest recent oil & gas M&A transactions in Asia.
- Acted for Ophir Energy on the Indonesian aspects of its acquisition of Salamander Energy, and its acquisition of four deepwater production sharing contracts from Niko.
- Acted for a leading global provider of marine and drilling systems in connection with its acquisition of oil & gas field service providers in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Acted for a regional government on its negotiation of offshore production sharing contracts with Chevron, TOTAL and PetroVietnam, and BOT concession arrangements for downstream petroleum infrastructure.
- Acting for BG Group in connection with its four offshore oil & gas projects in Myanmar being conducted in joint venture with Woodside, including two deep-water and two shallow-water projects.
- Acted for Petronas Carigali, the E&P subsidiary of Petronas, on investments in Indonesia.
- Acted for Singapore LNG Corporation Pte Ltd (SLNG) in the drafting and negotiation of the S$700 million EPC contract for the Phase 3 expansion of the Singapore LNG Terminal.
- Acted for a joint venture owned by three oil majors on the negotiation and drafting of EPC and other contractual arrangements for the construction of petroleum and petrochemical facilities.
- Acted for a leading US-listed oil & gas service provider in a dispute arising out of contracts for the supply of a semi-submersible drilling rig for offshore exploration and drilling in the Philippines.
- Acted for one of the world’s largest resources companies on its bauxite and alumina projects in Asia and Africa, including acquisition, shareholder and management agreements.
- Acted for one of the world’s largest resources companies on its proposed joint ventures to develop mineral smelters in Malaysia and the Middle East.
- Acted for a listed company on its mineral projects in Laos and Thailand, including joint venture, structuring, supply chain management and financing matters.
- Acted for one of the largest coal mining companies in Indonesia on its initial public offering (IPO).
- Acted for the sponsors of a proposed gold refinery project in Southeast Asia.
- Acted for a listed company on sale and marketing arrangements for coal produced from its Indonesian coal mines.
- Acted for one of the world's largest resources companies in an arbitration in connection with joint venture arrangements for a a US$1.5 billion nickel project in the Philippines.
- Acted for sponsors in connection with coal-fired and hydro power plants in Indonesia, including negotiating PPAs with PLN.
- Acted for the lenders in the project financing of the Phu My 2 and Phu My 3 power plant projects in Vietnam, and JEXIM on the financing of a power plant in Vietnam.
- Advised a major independent power producer on the development, financing, construction and operation of a 1000 MW coal-fired plant in Malaysia
- Acted for a company on its financing of a 230MW gas fired combined cycle power plant in Myanmar.
- Acted for an international contractor in connection with two power plants projects in Timor Leste, including EPCC, O&M, equipment supply, consultancy and technical services agreements.
- Advised Sun Edison on the development of photovoltaic electric plants under the Feed-in-Tariff System of SEDA Malaysia.
- Acting for the Government of Myanmar (Ministry of Electric Power) on its corporatisation and reform of a State-owned electricity utility and proposed investment by a multilateral financing agency.
- Acted on the liberalization of the Singapore electricity market and the establishment of the National Electricity Market of Singapore operated by the Energy Market Company (EMC). Subsequently advised EMC on market reforms, proposed implementation of an electricity futures market, and its review and update of market rules and manuals regulating the wholesale electricity market.
- Acted on landmark market and regulatory reforms in Singapore, such as the structuring and establishment of the Singapore Exchange (SGX), the Gold Exchange of Singapore, the Singapore International Monetary Exchange (SIMEX, now known as Singapore Exchange Derivatives Trading) and the Singapore Commodity Exchange (SICOM).
- Acted for a leading regional resources company on its establishment of a commodity trading hub in Singapore in connection with a USD6 billion mineral project in Australia
- Acted for China Aviation Oil (Singapore) Corporation in its restructuring and successful rehabilitation following its US$550 million oil derivatives trading losses in 2004
- Advised an operator on the operation and maintaining of its oil derivatives electronic trading market and platform in Singapore.
- Acted for several exchanges and clearing houses in a proposed collaboration with an Asian futures exchange, in respect of cross-clearing of OTC derivatives, cross/dual listing of securities and futures contracts, securities and futures contracts trading linkages.
- Prepared standard-form trading contracts for various commodity traders.
Click here to go back to Overview of Energy & Resources Practice