Yon See Ting is a Partner with the Corporate Practice Group of Christopher & Lee Ong.
Her more than 20 years of experience as a corporate lawyer in Malaysia is focused on corporate, corporate finance and commercial transactions including in M&As, joint ventures, takeovers, debt and securities offering, IPOs, corporate restructurings and various commercial arrangements encompassing competition law. She has extensive experience both in advisory as well as in transactional work, including acting for Malaysian (listed as well as non-listed) companies and foreign corporations in cross border exercises and in leading negotiations and corporate exercises.
She has also acted in various aspects of competition law matters including in investigations by the Malaysia Competition Commission (MyCC), a MNC’s application for individual exemption for an agreement, as competition law counsel in an M&A exercise of a listed cement company of its competitor, as part of its group’s global merger with another cement company, conducting competition law training and compliance programmes, reviewing agreements and advising numerous clients on various aspects of competition law.
See Ting is listed in GCR’s Who’s Who Legal for Competition Law and since 2014 has been a member of Bursa’s Listing Committee, a committee of the Board of Bursa Malaysia Berhad.
M&As and Takeovers
Advised foreign corporations and PE funds in their initial and continued investments as well as in their subsequent divestments in Malaysia including:
- Acted for a French listed company in an acquisition of a Malaysian automotive parts manufacturer which is a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company;
- Acting for Chinese white knight, Zhiyuan International Investment and Holding Group (Hong Kong) Co. Limited in its proposed rescue and the restructuring of listed steel maker, Perwaja Holdings Berhad in a transaction valued at RM1.8 billion;
- Advised Arenga Pinnata Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Creador II, LLC, a private equity fund in the takeover pursuant to the Malaysian Code of Takeovers and Mergers of Masterskill Education Group Berhad, a public company listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad for an aggregate consideration of approximately RM246 million;
- Advised Bursa Malaysia listed company, Integrax Berhad, as the offeree, in the takeover by Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) pursuant to the Malaysian Code of Takeovers and Mergers, of all the remaining shares not owned by TNB in Integrax Berhad;
- Advised Regent Wise Investments Limited, a subsidiary of Philippines conglomerate, Ayala Land Inc, in its initial participation of 9.16% which was subsequently increased to 32.95% in Bursa Malaysia listed company, MCT Berhad;
- Acted for ISEC Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Singapore Exchange Catalist company, ISEC Healthcare Ltd, in its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Southern Specialist Eye Centre Sdn Bhd;
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for CITIC Environment Protection Co. Ltd in its pre-conditional voluntary offer (valued at SGD1.9 billion) of Singapore Stock Exchange listed clean technology services company, United Envirotech Ltd;
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Suzhou Anjie Technology, a Shenzhen-listed manufacturer of insulation and cushioning materials for the consumer electronic industry, in relation to its acquisition of the Seksun Group (a leading precision metals engineering solutions provider).
- Acted for Creed Group in its acquisition of Sunsuria Medini Sdn Bhd, a property development company in Malaysia with land interests in the Iskandar Development Region.
- Acted for Mitsui & Co. Ltd, a major Japanese conglomerate in its investment in a Malaysian master concessionaire land holder in Medini, a smart city and part of the Iskandar region in Johor, in its joint venture with Khazanah Nasional Berhad’s subsidiary;
- Acted for Itochu Techno-Solutions Corporation and Itochu Corporation (both listed in Japan), in their successful competitive bid for an enterprise solutions and integration business in Malaysia and Singapore, acquired from subsidiaries of a US listed corporation;
- Acted as Malaysian counsel in the acquisition by SGX mainboard-listed, AusGroup Limited of Malaysian assets in Iskandar Malaysia valued at S$260 million, by way of reverse-takeover with a view to the listing of the assets on the SGX Catalist board
- Acted for Nestle S.A and Nestle (Malaysia) Berhad in its divestment of part of its canned liquid milk business in Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam to Fraser & Neave Holdings Berhad, involving continued licensing and agency arrangements and the disposal of interests in a Malaysian company owning factory land situated in prime commercial district;
- Acted for US telecommunications company in its participation in joint venture in a Malaysian telecommunications company and advising on the issues arising in its management of and subsequent exit from, the joint venture company;
- Acted for Australian international shopping mall manager in its participation in a joint venture company which is owner of a world class Malaysian shopping mall;
- Acted for Dutch based property trust company in its acquisition of an Australian joint venture partner’s interests, the subsequent listing of its Malaysian partner’s interests in the joint venture company, its sale of part interests to a Malaysian related corporation and the injection of the remaining holdings into an international property fund based in an offshore tax haven;
- Acted for Singapore headquartered financial institution in its participation in joint venture with Malaysian conglomerate in a licensed insurance company coupled with winding down its holdings in another licensed insurer and expediting the return to shareholders of monies in the company prior to winding down.
Finance, Corporate Finance and Capital Market
- Acted in the IPOs of companies in the manufacturing, media, IT and retail sectors for listing on Bursa Malaysia as well as listings via reverse takeovers.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for various corporations in IPOs on the SGX Mainboard
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for a corporation in the healthcare sector in an IPO on the HK Stock Exchange
- Acted for Malaysian public listed corporations in corporate exercises involving securities issues including rights issues with warrants attached, bonus issues, reduction of share capital, distributions to shareholders and share buy-backs.
- Acted for Malaysian public listed corporations as well as creditors in schemes of arrangements and debt restructuring exercises
- Acted for various Malaysian public listed corporations in their issue of debt securities
- Acted for Malaysian public listed corporations in negotiations on financing and security arrangements
- Acted for Nestle (Malaysia) Berhad in its RM100 m al-Murabaha CP/MTN
- Acted for various industries in their competition law compliance programmes including Malaysian financial institutions, MNCs in the pharmaceutical, chemical and FMCG sectors, cement, construction, services, trading and property companies
- Acted for trade associations in their competition law compliance programmes including in the financial services and cement sectors
- Acted for a multinational’s Malaysian listed subsidiary in the first application for individual exemption for anti-competitive agreement under the Competition Act 2010
- Acted in investigations by MyCC
- Acted as competition law counsel for Malaysian listed company in its acquisition of a competitor Malaysian company (as part of a global merger between 2 competing companies in the cement industry)
- Advised companies in wide ranging sectors including airlines, telecommunication, banks, insurance, pharmaceutical, chemicals, cement, manufacturing, automotive and retailing sectors on wide range of competition law matters including on exchange of information between competitors, tender activities, abuse of dominance and review of distribution and other vertical agreements
Memberships / Directorships
- Member of the Listing Committee of Bursa Malaysia