Danny specialises in complex international commercial disputes and investigations, acting for corporations across a multitude of industries, including banking and finance, technology, electronics, shipping, commodities, oil and gas, and commodities. He is also deeply experienced and known for his work in cross-border fraud and asset recovery investigations and litigation as well as multi-jurisdictional headline insolvencies. Danny is regularly called upon by corporations and their officers to manage crisis or distressed situations and to drive the consensual resolution of disputes, and where necessary, litigate disputes before courts and arbitration tribunals to their conclusion as lead counsel.
He has been recognized in his areas of expertise by international legal directories, with clients describing him as “an excellent litigator”, “our go-to guy", "good when you need someone to fight your corner", and “very commercial, he knows when he has to be aggressive and commercially aware at the same time".
Danny is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He graduated from the National University of Singapore and is admitted to the Singapore Bar as well as the Rolls of Solicitors of the High Courts of Hong Kong and England and Wales. Prior to rejoining the firm in 2008, Danny practised in Hong Kong for a number of years with a leading international law firm.
Danny has extensive experience in complex international commercial disputes and cross-border investigations involving multiple jurisdictions and disciplines. In addition, Danny is experienced in PRC and Indonesian related disputes, having acted for various foreign corporations in disputes involving private and state-owned companies in China and Indonesia in both litigation and arbitrations.
In the area of fraud and asset recovery, Danny has advised and represented various international financial and other institutions in the investigation and prosecution of claims involving complex multi-jurisdictional corporate and commercial fraud and breaches of fiduciary duties, and the recovery and tracing of assets globally. He is a member of the International Chamber of Commerce’s Fraudnet, an international network of independent lawyers who are the leading civil asset recovery specialists in each country.
Danny has also acted and continues to act in some of the largest and most complex insolvencies in the region representing liquidators and creditors, with particular expertise in litigation involving distressed companies, including acting for the liquidators of the Lehman entities in Asia (ex-Japan), and more recently, the liquidators of MF Global Singapore and Dynamic Oil Trading, part of the OW Bunker Group.
On the side of banking and financial services disputes, Danny has acted for major international banks, brokerages, and other financial institutions, including in cases involving syndicated loans, market-rigging, insider dealing, complex structured products, layering and spoofing, as well as advised on regulatory issues, crisis and risk management strategies, and conducted internal investigations including in the recent interest rate and NDF rate fixing scandals.
Finance and Regulatory
- Acted for Lehman Brothers Singapore Private Limited in the defence of an action by individual investors alleging misrepresentations in the prospectus for the $10 billion notes programme issued by Minibond Limited.
- Acted for various international banks in defending multi-million dollar claims by high net worth individuals relating to financial investment transactions and the establishment and utilisation of offshore structures.
- Advised various financial institutions in Singapore in respect of complaints and claims of alleged misrepresentations and misselling by individual investors in relation to the sale of structured products secured by CDOs, including Minibond Notes, Jubilee Notes and Pinnacle Notes arranged by Lehman Brothers Inc, Merrill Lynch (Singapore) Pte Ltd and Morgan Stanley Dean Witter Asia (Singapore) Pte respectively.
- Acted for syndicated lenders in an action against an Indonesian tycoon for the recovery of facilities granted of over $140 million to an Indonesian conglomerate.
Corporate and Commercial
- Advised and acted for a Singapore company in defending a $270 million claim by a BVI company in relation to alleged financing provided for acquisition of assets in the solar industry across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised and acted for various Indonesian parties in defending a $12 billion claim relating to natural resources projects in Indonesia, including one of the largest mines in Indonesia.
- Advised and acted for one of the largest global semi-conductor manufacturers in a dispute relating to the supply of chips for a $600 million national identity card project in South-East Asia.
- Acted for a director of a property investment company in defending a $250 million claim for alleged breach of fiduciary duties and trust in respect of a project in the PRC.
- Advised and acted for a major global distributor of office equipment in an arbitration against a Chinese supplier in respect of a long-term supply and partnership agreement.
- Advised a German conglomerate in a joint-venture dispute with an Indian partner, involving complex cross-border issues relating to businesses in India, Singapore, and Thailand.
- Advised on the litigious aspects of an attempted hostile take-over of an iron and steel company listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong, and acting in related legal proceedings.
- Acted for a European company in a multi-million dollar claim against a large state-owned PRC entity arising from cross-border fraud perpetrated by employees of the PRC entity.
- Advised and represented a German commodities trading company in an arbitration under the ICC Rules against a PRC supplier, and related proceedings before the PRC Court.
- Advised and acted for various multi-national corporations in the enforcement of restrictive covenants against former employees.
Fraud, Asset Recovery and Tracing
- Acted in a $500 million dispute before the Singapore Courts relating to an alleged fraud perpetrated in respect of the financing of solar power plants in Europe between a US company and a Shanghai-based company, which involved proceedings in Singapore and England.
- Acted for a state-owned trading company in investigations into a $125 million fraud perpetrated by officers and controllers of that company in relation to its oil trading activities, and represented the state-owned company in civil claims brought before the Singapore Courts and related criminal complaints.
- Defended a $4 billion fraud and asset recovery claim brought before the Singapore Courts relating to an alleged fraud perpetrated by a wealthy family involving multiple jurisdictions including the Middles East, U.S. and Hong Kong.
- Advised and acted for the liquidators and creditors’ committee of an insolvent international company in respect of a civil action in Singapore for a US$1 billion fraud perpetrated on the company, including obtaining search and seizure and freezing orders against multiple parties.
- Advised and acted for a leading Brazilian bank in respect of misappropriation of over $200 million and fraud and tracing claims arising therefrom against multiple parties in various jurisdictions, with worldwide freezing and disclosure orders obtained in various jurisdictions, including Singapore, Hong Kong, England, Switzerland, Nigeria, and the U.S.
- Represented one of the largest Indonesian conglomerates in claims for the recovery of secret commissions and bribery monies paid to an agent in relation to a project for the construction of a pulp and paper mill in Indonesia.
- Advised and acted for the liquidators of an insolvent English commodities trading company in the investigation of a massive cross-border fraud perpetrated on various international financial institutions in respect of trade financing transactions and prosecuting a claim in relation thereto, which involved proceedings in England, Singapore, and US.
Insolvency and Restructuring
- Advised and acted for the liquidators of Dynamic Oil Trading (Singapore) Pte Ltd (“DOT”) in one of the most high-profile insolvencies in the shipping industry in Singapore in recent times, as part of the global collapse of the OW Bunker group. Specifically, acted for the liquidators in respect of a dispute with ING Bank N.V. regarding the validity and entitlement of syndicated lenders to security rights over receivables of some US$250 million, as well as competing claims over the receivables of DOT which spawned extensive litigation across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised and acted for the liquidators of MF Global Singapore, the most high-profile insolvency in the financial industry in Singapore since Lehman Brothers involving thousands of MF Global customers and efforts in recovering customers’ proprietary funds of over US$400 million in Singapore and other jurisdictions, including in landmark proceedings before the Singapore Courts for the sanction of interim distribution of over US$350 million of customers’ funds, and for the determination of complex issues relating to the treatment of customers’ claims for profits arising from leveraged foreign exchange and bullion transactions under Singapore's regulatory framework.
- Advised and acted for the liquidators various Lehman Brothers entities across Asia, including in Nomura’s acquisition of Lehman’s franchises in Asia-Pacific following the collapse of Lehman Brothers in September 2008, which included the distressed sale of assets and the migration of employees (approximately 3,000 employees in multiple locations) across the Asia Pacific region under a very tight time frame following the collapse of Lehman Brothers.
- Advised and acted for various trustees and international bondholders of bonds issued by various Indonesian and Chinese corporations, including in respect of enforcement of security.
- Advised and acted for the liquidator of Celestial Nutrifoods Limited, a Chinese-based company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, International Chamber of Commerce’s Fraudnet