Jabbar has more than 20 years of extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, banking and finance, general commercial and private client work, both local and international.
In the course of his mergers and acquisitions practice, he has acted for both purchasers and sellers in a wide range of cross-border and local merger and acquisition transactions. He also advises regularly on transfer of businesses and undertakings, statutory amalgamations, joint ventures, partnership agreements, group reorganisations and company disposals.
In the course of his banking and finance practice, Jabbar regularly acts for both lenders and borrowers in a wide range of cross-border and local financing transactions, including both conventional and Islamic financing transactions and debt capital market transactions such as bond issuances and securitisation transactions.
Jabbar also advises companies on corporate governance, compliance and regulatory matters. He serves on the board as company secretary to numerous private and public listed and unlisted companies as well as several registered foreign companies with Singapore branches.
Jabbar has been listed as a leading practitioner in the Who's Who Legal – M&A and Governance for 2017, as well as in the Who’s Who Legal – Management Labour and Employment for 2011 to 2014. He has also been recommended in Legal 500 (Corporate and M&A) and cited as providing his clients with 'consistently sound advice'.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Acted for Heinemann Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. in relation to the joint venture and acquisition of 25% shareholding in DFZ Capital Berhad (a subsidiary of Duty Free International Limited listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange), the largest multi-channel duty free and duty paid retailing group in Malaysia.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Long Haul Holdings Ltd. and PT Bakrie & Brothers Tbk (Bakrie Group) on the acquisition of a 29.2% interest in PT Bumi Resources Tbk (Bumi Resources) from Asia Resource Minerals plc (formerly Bumi plc) (ARMS) for $501 million in cash, and the disposal of the Bakrie Group’s entire 23.8% indirect interest in ARMS to Ravenwood Acquisition Company Limited (RACL).
- Acted as Singapore counsel for Northstar Travel Media LLC in relation to the acquisition of Travel Weekly China, Travel Weekly Asia, and Events China from Contineo Media.
- Acted as lead counsel to GMG Global Ltd, a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and a subsidiary of Sinochem International Corporation, in its acquisition of approximately 35% of the shares in the capital of Siat SA (which holds investments in various entities incorporated in Africa namely Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria and Gabon) for S$350 million.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Julius Baer in its global acquisition of the wealth management business of Merrill Lynch.
Banking and Finance
- Acted as Singapore counsel to TML Holdings Pte. Ltd (wholly owned subsidiary of India's largest automobile manufacturer, Tata Motors Limited) on a US$500 million loan facility.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to the FCI SA group of companies in relation to the grant of US$250,000,000 term loan facilities and US$30,000,000 revolving facilities from a syndicate of lenders.
- Acted for United Overseas Bank Limited in relation to a US$100 million loan facility to PT Provident Capital Indonesia.
- Acted for International City Development Pte. Ltd. in connection with the grant of up to S$103 million loan facilities from UOB Kay Hian Pte. Ltd.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to the lenders in relation to financing a take-over offer for shares by Fincantieri Oil & Gas S.p.A in STX OSV Holdings Limited (now known as Vard Holdings Limited) listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to TML Holdings Pte. Ltd (wholly owned subsidiary of India's largest automobile manufacturer, Tata Motors Limited) on a US$300 million Reg S bonds offering listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to TML Holdings Pte. Ltd (wholly owned subsidiary of India's largest automobile manufacturer, Tata Motors Limited) on a S$350 million bonds offering listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the joint lead managers DBS Bank Ltd. and Standard Chartered Bank on an automobile loan and finance lease receivables securitisation transaction originated by BMW Financial Services Korea Co. Ltd.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the arrangers in connection the refinancing of a credit card receivables securitisation program generated by Diners Club (Singapore) Private Limited and applying to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for ‘Approved Special Purpose Vehicle’ status for the Singapore special purpose vehicle.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd in the refinancing of a structured financing transaction and bonds issuance by Diners Club (Singapore) Private Limited.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the arranger in connection the securitisation of freight receivables generated by the CMA CGM group, which involved the sale of receivables by one of its Singapore subsidiary on a true sale basis.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the arranger in connection the refinancing of an instalment loan receivables securitisation program generated by Courts (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
Employment and General Corporate Advisory
- Advising on corporate governance, employment and immigration matters which includes (i) drafting and reviewing employment contracts, employment handbooks, compliance handbooks for local companies and multi-national corporations, (ii) advising on termination of employees, wrongful or unfair dismissal, restraint of trade, solicitation clauses, retrenchment benefits claims, negotiations with trade unions, s18A transfers under the Employment Act, transfers of employees between legal entities in connection with divestments of businesses; and (iii) advising on employment passes and permanent residency status.
- Advising on general corporate matters such as capital reductions, amalgamations and financial assistance under the Singapore Companies Act.
- Advising on the establishment of business entities in Singapore, conversion of partnerships and companies into limited liability partnerships, drafting of corporate secretarial documentation.
- Reviewing of a wide variety of general corporate agreements such as distribution agreements, collaboration agreements, supply agreements, tenancy agreements and licence agreements.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Director, R&T Corporate Services Pte Ltd
- Director, Ray of Hope Initiative Limited
- Director, ISCA (Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants) Cares Ltd
- Member, Strategy Committee, Albatross Foundation Limited
- Member, Professional Development Committee, Singapore Institute of Directors
- Member, Legal Services Committee, Singapore International Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Corporate Practice Committee, The Law Society of Singapore
- A Practical Guide to Company Secretary Obligations in Singapore (Wolters Kluwer Singapore)
- Deadlocks: Should Directors Boycott Meetings (The Business Times and BT Invest)
- Boardroom Dramas: Shareholders in Deadlock (The Business Times and BT Invest)
- Establishing a Business in Singapore (Practical Law Multi-Jurisdictional Guide)
- Navigating through the Winds of Change, The SME Magazine (Business Times)
- Pass It On: Succession Planning and Preparing for Contingencies (Business Times Legal Advisor)
- Shareholder Deadlocks: Complications for Directors (The Business Times and BT Invest)
- Singapore Chapter, The Foreign Investment Regulation Review, 4th Edition
- Singapore Chapter, Hiring the Best Qualified and Most Talented Employees: Handbook on Global Recruiting, Screening, Testing and Interviewing Criteria (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business)